Friday, August 28, 2009

I Hate...I mean LOVE Speed Work!

OMG-There's only 78 days left until San Antonio!!

Last night I did a seven mile run and had to do a portion of the run in zone 3 – low zone 4. I was already tired from the long day at work, so the thought of speed work wasn’t too appealing. I would have much rather gone home and eaten flaming hot Cheetos and drank beer, but I didn’t want to be labeled a lazy slacker by my husband, so speed work it would be.

I drove out to my favorite flat trail, stretched and did a nice easy 25 minute warm-up. The temperature was cooler then it has been, but it was still 82 degrees and before too long I was whining to myself about it being too hot. I am usually a fair weather runner, I do more road and mountain biking in the summer then I do running, mainly to avoid my own whining about it being too hot. Running in the heat just takes so much out of you and I am a total pansy about it, but I picked a fall marathon, so I would have to suck it up and run. By the time I got to my speed work, I was glowing like a 1,000 watt light bulb (I do not sweat, I glow), but I was warmed up and ready, so I picked up the pace. It hurt and every muscle in my body screamed at me to stop. I was feeling unusually tired and I wondered how much of it had to do with the heat. The sun in Colorado can be quite intense. I was so glad when my Garmin beeped and I went back to slow mode for a two minute recovery. Then the damn thing beeped at me way too soon and off I went. While I was kicking up the pace, I noticed an elderly gentleman on a bike heading towards me on the trail. He was in one lane and I was in the other. I heard him ding his little bell and it surprised me because I didn’t think that anyone was in front of him. I looked back and there was no one. He dinged it again. Was he dinging it at me? I was clearly out of his way and in my own lane and we were headed in different directions. I looked back again and still didn’t see anyone, but by this time, I had wandered over into his lane. I turned around and saw the look of terror in his eyes due to the fact that I was in his lane. He was still a good distance away from me, but he started frantically dinging his bell at me. I jumped back into my lane and waved at him, but he continued to ding that bell! Dude, you are going 5 mph on that bike; you are fine!! My Garmin beeped and I slowed. The old guy passed me giving me an evil look and I just waved again. Yes, I know, it was totally all my fault…sorry for freaking you out like that. Next time that I see you; you can have the whole sidewalk and I'll just run in the grass. By this time, all the damn dinging and beeping had me totally unnerved and my heart rate was through the roof. I finished up my last two speed sessions and went home to recover in the best way I knew how….a glass of wine.

I have an easy run tonight and then a twelve miler on my schedule for the weekend. My husband bought some new gels called Accel Gel, has anyone heard of them?
We used them on our 80 mile Copper Triangle bike ride and I thought that I would try them for my long runs as well. They are a 4:1 Carbohydrate/Protein mix that is supposed to extend endurance and speed muscle recovery. I have never taken gels that include protein before, but they seemed to do well on our long ride. They are fairly tasty and I didn’t have any stomach problems with them. I’ll let you know what I think of them for the run.

Chick Pop Culture Stuff: So I totally thought that it was hilarious that everyone had such an aversion to the post about Angelina yesterday. People called her ugly and a home wrecker. I had totally forgotten about the whole Brandgelina vs. Jennifer war a few years back. I usually manage to ignore most of that stuff, since I don't watch TV. While I do not think that Angie has reached Sienna Miller status( notorious husband snatcher), I’ll admit the whole situation was a little on the odd side. Although I did find it curious that not a lot of people called Brad a home wrecker; only Angelina. Stirring the pot a little….wasn’t it more his fault then hers? He was the one that was blessed with two brains, but could only manage to think with one. I do have to give a shout out to how Jennifer handled the whole thing. Having had to deal with what I would politely call “mentally unstable ex-girlfriends” in the past; I admire how she so gracefully handled the situation. Chick drama always makes me giggle; maybe I should include more of it in the blog.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend of running!

10 comments:

B.o.B. said...

Silly old men should not be given bells. LOL! I would have been so annoyed.

I didn't read your post about brangelina (shame on me) however my mom will just not get over it. She refuses to see any movies with either of them. Yeah, she's nutters like that. I for one just like the movies and don't care what the actors do in real life, entertaining though it may be. I think you have to be a little bit off to be an actor anyway.

Julia said...

Sometimes I see old men on their bikes going so s-l-o-w I am amazed they can still keep the bikes upright! I mean, its hard to go that slow! But yeah, I totally would have gotten flustered as well. What was his deal? You clearly weren't in his way.
Good for you for completing your speedwork, even with odds against you! :)

Meg Runs said...

Yep, I LOVE your recovery style girl...

Anonymous said...

I know exactly WHO you are talking about. He-He. :)

kristen said...

A girlfreind of mine was thinking of trying a feul with protein in it too. I'm curious to know how that works out for you. It wonder if it would help keep my hunger pains away maybe. Sometimes I get so hungry on long run I can't think about anything but food. Drives me nuts! Let us know.

p.s. yes, I think they are both pretty trashy individuals but I suppose I do hold higher expectations for women. So sexist of me I know.

kristen said...

Phew, I just checked and I did call BOTH of them homewrekers. Glad I was fair on that one :)

Molly said...

I'm team Anniston...she looks like someone you'd like to have a beer with. Angelina would probably have a glass of icy cold water.

aerorunnergirl said...

Congrats on getting out there and getting that speedwork done, despite your reservations. I don't really "do" speedwork... I sort of just get the miles in... but I know the feeling of being guilt-tripped by your own husband into exercising in the hot Colorado sun. It's no picnic. :)

RunToFinish said...

oh i am so bad about speedwork, I'm going to try to pick it up again soon.

seriously..I've never had anyone ding a bell at me...had he been doing it repeatedly I think it would have bugged me A LOT!

Katie said...

If I were you I would have stayed as close to that little old man's lane as possible... just to freak him out! That is hilarious.
Yes, we are getting closer and closer to San Antonio!! Im getting anxious!
I'm with you on the whole Brangelina thing... yes, they are hot. Yes, they are homewreckers.