Wednesday, August 5, 2009

First Run after a month

Monday night I had my first run in over a month. I was so excited all day at the prospect of running that I could barely focus at work, which is pretty normal for me actually. I am an Accountant and being an Accountant has to be one of the most boring occupations in the world. There are some days when I am sitting in hour long meetings discussing revenue, DSO calculations, and cost analysis and everyone else is so lively and animated and I’m sitting there with an “OMG….how can you people find this interesting” look on my face. But that’s a totally different post. This post is about running, my first run after my foot injury.

I wanted to do my run on a softer course, so I drove over to my favorite gravel trail. This course has quite a few hills and inclines, but it’s very easy on the ole feet. I arrived at the trail around 6:00 and it was like greeting an old friend. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed running on this course. My legs were still tired from all of the climbing at the Copper ride, but as soon as I started they perked up.

What is this? They asked. I remember this….we are RUNNING!

I was a little anxious about how my foot would feel, but for the most part, there was no pain. I am still trying to get used to my new orthotics, so I just kept the run slow and very comfortable at a 10-11 minute mile pace in HR Zone 1. I was going so slow that a woman in a pink “I Love Cats” T-shirt passed me. I’ve seen this woman out on this course before and she was wearing that same damn T-shirt, so it must be her standard run outfit. I shouldn’t make fun of her; I was sporting an all pink Nike outfit that I had gotten on sale at the Nike outlet and my hair was up in pigtails...HOT. I am probably on Cat girl’s blog being referred to as the slow girl in the pink track outfit with her hair in pony tails, limping around on the course. Yea…well, screw you cat girl, I could kick your butt all over this course if I wanted to.

If you are Cat Girl and you are reading this blog, which I'm sure that you are not, but just in case: Please note that I do not have anything against you, I'm just trying to make myself feel better because you passed me. Yes, I do realize that I am mental.

I finished up my run and I felt great. I vowed that I would never again write a post bitching and moaning about running (although I do reserve the right to bitch and complain in my own mind-it has to listen to me no matter what). I will never bitch about how I am not going fast enough or how tired I was or how I just didn’t want to run. Running is a privilege that I have always taken for granted. This past month has been very frustrating, but at least I'm back.

Training this week: 40 minute run on Monday, 45 minute bike ride on Tuesday, 1 hour run on Wednesday, strength training Thursday, Long run this weekend.

7 comments:

Jamoosh said...

It's great that you are jumping back in. Running is your friend! And just for the record, I don't like Cat Girl either.

ShutUpandRun said...

Welcome back to the running world. Where is the cat girl? I want to see her. I think pigtails are WAY cute if you can get away with them. Shouldn't cat girl be home cleaning out the litter box or knitting or something?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better! Cat Girl sucks!

Kylie

Molly said...

thumbs up on your first run, hope your foot felt good the morning after...I see a guy every so often running in a Survivor buff.

Julia said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Haha, Cat Girl... you totally just made me laugh. Esp cause i would be wearing a shirt like that too :)
Glad to hear you are able to run again :)

kristen said...

Great post! I remember what I felt after I was able to start running agian post injury. It reallly puts things in perspective. I'm so glad your easing back in.

chris mcpeake said...

Great to see that you are pain free and back at it.