Sunday, July 19, 2009

Training and a Movie




Saturday was X-Training day and I had a 2 hour bike ride on my schedule. Rick and I decided to leave the road bikes in their home in the garage and pull out the mountain bikes. It has been awhile since we had biked at Lair ‘O” the Bear open space park, so we decided that should be our destination. We got out there fairly early, around 8:00 and the lot was already filling up fast. This is a popular spot with hikers, runners, and bikers because it is so close to Denver, so we are used to seeing many people on the trail. The temperature was supposed to reach 90 degrees plus on Saturday, so everyone was out enjoying the cool morning temps. I love this trail, the climb up is only about a mile and a half and then there are some roller coaster downhills that are a blast, a couple of other shorter climbs, then all downhill back. I am also happy to report that it must have been chick day on the trail. The ratio of female to male riders was at least 3:1, which is extremely unusual. Usually, you might see one female rider, but the vast majority are males. Not today though, us girls were taking over the trails! I rode with one group for a little while and it was nice to have female company while riding.

I had a little trouble on the first uphill, which was taken care of by a couple of puffs from my inhaler and I was riding technically strong on the downhills. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Saturday afternoon was deemed “mommy and daughter” time. We were on a mission to see the new Harry Potter flick. I’m not a big fan of watching movies; I have a hard time sitting though the whole thing, but it has been a tradition for Madison and me to see the Harry Potter movies together. We have been seeing these together since the first one came out back in 2001 (I think). Plus I just absolutely love kid’s movies; I think that they are the best. There are so many movies out there that you wonder what the hell they were thinking when they made them. Then you wonder who the hell is watching these movies and why. Then you hear how popular the movies are and wonder how Americans have gotten so dumb. Anyway…I digress….Madison and I went out to lunch at Panera and then on to the show. Because Madison is fourteen, I have been deemed unworthy to go to with her to her usual movie theater in fear that someone might see her with her very uncool mother (even though I made sure I was not dressed in my normal “slacker” attire), so we had to drive all the way over to Aurora to see the show.

The movie itself was pretty good. The kids are growing up and coming of age, so the show had a little more emphasis on the characters, which I liked. There was also a lot more humor in this one and it wasn’t nearly as dark of a movie. I thought the end kind of left you hanging a little bit, but all and all, it was a pretty good show.

Sunday, I was supposed to get a “run” in on the elliptical. Yes, it was as boring as it sounds and I can’t wait to get back to regular running. I saw a lot of runners on the trails on Saturday and I was really jealous. I went back to the doctor Friday morning and took more x-rays. No signs of a stress fracture (Yeah!), but they were baffled by my swollen foot and couldn’t figure out why I was in pain. I have a bone scan scheduled at the hospital this week to further check it out. Eeek!

Anyway, I got a little over nine miles in on the elliptical and watched the Tour de France while I was “running”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I laughed outloud when I read that you had to drive all the way to another movie theater....you have to love teenagers. Hey--I think you are one heck of a cool mom!

me :)