Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Spark?

Thank you for all of your kind comments on my bout of whining yesterday. I appreciate the fact that you attended my pity party; I promise that there won’t be anymore whining for awhile. I was driving home from work last night and I saw a guy in a wheelchair and on the back of his wheelchair was a sign that said “veteran”. I’ve seen this guy before, at least once or twice every other week, so he must live somewhere nearby. His legs end in stumps about mid thigh and I’ve often wondered what happened to him and what the story was behind his life. When I spotted him; I just felt like a big loser. Here I was complaining about wanting fresh legs on my workouts and griping about my horrible (when it’s really not THAT bad) pace, when I should really just be thankful that I am able to do these things and that I am healthy. What a big fat pansy I am.

My coach and I have decided that I should take at least 1-2 weeks off of running so my foot will heal. In fact, we have been e-mailing each other about this issue off and on all day. Lucky her! I’m sure she is overjoyed to talk about my feet all day long. We talked about doing the elliptical and deep water running in order to get my “run” in and then still use cycling to cross train. Deep water running - sounds a tad bit more exciting then the treadmill, but I have to be in a swimsuit, don’t know about that one. I’m not sure that I like the idea of being off for up to two weeks, but it is what it is and I’ll do what I have to do in order to get back on my feet. No pun intended.

Anyway, I had a great bike ride this morning. The weather has been very cool still in the mornings, around 57 degrees, so I got dressed in my tights and light jacket and hit the road. I got in a little over 20 miles before I had to go back and get ready for work. I’m not sure what the rest of the week will bring. Tomorrow was suppose to be a short run, Thursday track day, Saturday a 12 mile run, and then Sunday a 3-4 hour bike, but I’m sure we will juggle the schedule around a little to accommodate my poor little bruised bone. I hope I don’t have to do a 12 mile run in the water. I wonder how long that would take….

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Funny how those things can jolt us back to reality and give us perspective. Your story helped me too!