Thursday, July 16, 2009

Run for Congo Women 5K




I downloaded and filled out the forms this morning for the Run for Congo Women 5K over in Morrison, Colorado. This is a 5K/10K Trail run/hike to benefit Women for Women Internationals' Congo Program. The story behind this is that 5.4 Million people have died over the last 10 years and over 250,000 women and girls have been raped. I thought it was a great cause and of course I absolutely love a good trail run, so I decided to sign up. I know that I have posted before about how I hate to run 5K’s, but I figure I can suffer through one run in order to support the cause, plus it is no where near the suffering that these women have gone through over in Africa. I can quit being a pansy and balls up for one 5K. Of course, we will just have to see how my little ole foot is feeling by then. I go back to the doctor tomorrow morning to get it inspected again, this time by a different doctor. ELF has already warned me that it might be a stress fracture and has instructed me not to feel like it’s the end of the world; 6-12 weeks of non weight bearing activity and I’ll be back to running in no time. The good news is that I will probably still be able to cycle. If my foot continues to give me issues and I won’t be able to actually run the 5K, I can always hike the trail.

Training for the week has been an hour road ride on Tuesday morning with Rick and an hour “run” on the elliptical last night. After the elliptical it was crunches and push ups. Tonight will be functional strength training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked into that race to. Maybe i'll do the 10K.