Monday, July 6, 2009

I just need a quick pity party.......

What do you do, when you are not where you want to be in your training? I did my run test on Saturday. These tests are never easy and I quite honestly do not like to do them, but they give my coach a good feel for where I’m at in my training. My results were ok; I ran the same pace as the last test in April, yet I did it with a lower heart rate, which means that I am improving. I also ran this test at a very steady rate instead of holding a quick pace and then dropping the pace down to rest and then back up again. The fact that I did the whole run at a steady even pace shows that I am doing well. The rate at which my heart rate dropped has been steadily improving over time and this current test came back showing that I am very fit. The one thing that bothers me is my pace. I averaged the test at about a 7:50 pace, but that is a lot slower then what I used to be able to run a 5K back when I was younger (don’t worry; I won’t go Al Bundy on you). I talked to my coach and let her know that it was a little depressing to be considered fit, yet only be able to pull out a 7:50 pace. Why can’t I get back to where I once was? She brought up my allergies and asthma. I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma last June, but all I have is an inhaler and it is out of date. I’m quite sure the out of date inhaler is doing me good. She was very sympathetic because she was just recently diagnosed with asthma and allergies and was put on all sorts of medication. According to her, it has improved her running immensely. She suggested that I get my lung capacity checked and stated that if my body is fighting, all the training in the world can only do so much. It made sense to me. I tire easily, I am constantly short of breath, and I sound like a freight train coming down the road. You mean there are medications (besides an inhaler out of date inhaler) out there that would help?

I woke up Sunday morning tired and unmotivated. I had an active recovery bike ride on my calendar. How do you get motivated to do something when you are constantly battling your body in order to do it? I read through all of my internet buddies runner’s blogs and it seems like most everyone is fighting something right now. Knee problems, hamstring issues, stress fractures, you name it; I know someone out there who is battling it. Do we really love the sport that much? I'm sure that I'm not the only one to have sat down and reflected on why I do what I do. I am sure that I am not the only one who has struggled to catch a glimpse of the motivation that started this whole training process to begin with. I know that there are good days and there are bad days.

I'm still looking for that spark this week. I got through a half ass recovery ride yesterday with Rick. We took our bikes over to Lookout Mountain and did an easy 5 mile spin up and then the 5 miles back down. As Rick loaded the bikes on the 4-runner he joyfully proclaimed how much he loved climbing. I just stared at him...I wanted to choke him. I just want one bike ride where I'm not coming off of a long run or sprints, I just want one run where I'm not coming off of a 3 hour bike ride where over half is climbing a mountain. I want fresh legs!! I didn't say this to him because I realized how I might have sounded. Whiny...kind of like I am sounding right now. I realize that I am doing this because I love doing this, but I just needed a quick pity party. Thank you if you made it to the end. I hope everyone else has their "spark" this week.

3 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I can sympathize. It is so discouraging when our body doesn't do what we want it to do. Then it takes the fun out of the sport. My only advice? Try to remember why you love to run. Accept the fact that it is hard and some days will be better than others. Oh, and we're getting older. Doesn't mean we have to be slower, but does mean that our bodies are always changing. Good luck. Hang in there. And by the way, I think that five mile climb up Lookout is quite tough and a really good workout!!! Hard to do on tired legs.

Anonymous said...

I'm dealing with the same issues. I wish my knee problems would disappear. Hang in there.
Lee

Anonymous said...

That's not a bad pace!