Monday, June 1, 2009

Saturday morning we finally woke up to blue skies and big fluffy white clouds. Hello sunshine! For the past month, the work weeks have been in the seventies and sunny, while the weekends have been rainy, crappy, and down right annoying. I thought the rain was nice at first because we don’t see it too often, usually when the weatherman calls for rain, I ignore it. When we first moved out here, I missed good old fashioned rainstorms with thunder and lightening and the torrential downpour of rain. I soon became accustomed to the near perfect Colorado weather, where the sun shines over 300 days a year; I’ve become spoiled.
Yes, it was going to be a great day for a run, but first, I had to go sit in a chair at the salon for two hours and get my hair cut and colored and have any and every unwanted stray hair pulled out by the root bulb in a process that we call waxing. Yes, I know, it takes a lot of time and sounds painful, but rest assured, the finished product is much better then the before picture. The salon trip itself was pretty uneventful; I just sat in the chair and talked to my stylist while she piled different types of goop in my hair and smashed it in place with foil. Pretty soon I had a nice gladiator helmet of foil and my hair stuck out in a very fashionable Medusa like style. While I was there, the Birdman from the Denver Nuggets came in to get some hair gel for his signature hair style that he wears during the game. Everyone rushed over to get autographs; I of course missed him because I was engrossed in an article about what type of jeans to wear if you have a large butt. Damn. I would have liked to have gotten an autograph. Not more then 15 minutes after he left, his fiancĂ©e pops in sporting this gigantic rock on her finger. One of the girls mentions to her that the Birdman was just in and she makes the comment that all of the girls in the salon must have been drooling. Ummmm….not so much. He’s a great basketball player and fun to watch, but he’s really not much to look at. No offense to her of course.
I finally made it home with my nicely coiffed hair and changed into my running clothes. I had been planning on starting back into my long runs again since I haven’t done anything over 6 miles since my half marathon. However, I have been sick all week, so instead of putting more stress on my recovering body, my schedule was changed to a nice easy hour long run. I found a nice flat course and started out at an easy pace. I felt sluggish and devoid of energy and it was hard for me to believe that I had ran 13.1 miles less then a month ago. I couldn’t have run 13 miles that day if you had paid me to. What is going on, I kept asking myself? My legs felt great, but the rest of my body felt like lead and like every cell was gasping for oxygen. It was hot and I had sweat rolling down my face and I used the heat as an excuse for my poor performance (my newly coiffed hair was wrecked too). I finished the run and felt extremely disappointed in myself. I had so much wanted to get back into my long runs and start building my endurance back up for the marathon training. I felt like a failure, but I have learned a lot of lessons from my coach and one of them is to put failure behind us and move forward.
And that’s what I did, until the next day, when it happened again. Rick and I went out on an easy bike ride and I ended up gasping for air and turning back when I realized that I had left my inhaler in the car. I told him to go on and finish the ride without me; I would wait in the car. I turned back and realized that I was again achy, tired, and I had a sore throat. Then I made the allergy connection. It was right around this same time last year, about a week after the Memorial Day weekend, that I ended up in urgent care and diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. I remember feeling tired, achy, and extremely frustrated that I was so tired all of the time. I have many allergies, but none are seasonal, however the one thing that has been pollinating this week is pine and I have never been tested for pine allergies because they are extremely rare. Hmmmmm. If that’s the case, then I should hope to only have to deal with this crap for another week and then I should be back to my normal energy level again. I hope so because I am starting my long runs again this week. No excuses!
Tonight is core night! Don’t worry, I just have to do half an hour, not 45 minutes of core like the last time.

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

That is so frustrating. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Allergies suck!