Monday, June 15, 2009

Running and Biking

I am tired, thank goodness it is rest day and I can just sit on my butt all day and not do any workouts. Saturday I did an easy trail run in zones 1 and 2. I found a nice soft, yet hilly, gravel trail not far from my house and headed over there for my run. My goal was to just take this run as slow as possible and let my heart rate rise and fall with the terrain. I have been easing very slowly back into my long runs, each week just adding a little more then the previous week, so I anticipated that I would try and work in a 7.5 to 8 mile run. This was a great little trail, but there was no shade and I unfortunately, due to time restraints, had to run in the hottest part of the day. I was sweaty and hot in no time and was feeling a little tired due to the noonday sun beaming down on me. I have been doing most of my runs either in the morning or in the late afternoon after the sun comes down, so I am definitely not used to running at that time of day. I had to play the old “just make it to that next rock and you’ll be ok” trick until I finally got used to the heat. The rest of the run was pretty uneventful, I finally settled into a nice groove and maintained a consistent pace on the uphills and let my heart rate recover on the downhills. I ended the run at 7.50 miles and went home and did a half hour recovery spin on my indoor trainer. I then stretched by doing a little yoga. My legs were tight from going up and down all of the hills, so the yoga felt great.

I had taken Madison to the airport that morning and the house seemed way too quiet. She was in a plane headed towards Kansas City to visit my family for the next couple of weeks, so Rick and I were childless for the first time in months. I felt a little guilty for being excited about this, but it is very nice to take time for yourself every now and then. It is very difficult at times to find a balance between family, careers, and our training schedules and it is oftentimes that our training is the thing that takes the hit. I believe that we should always find a little time for ourselves each day. I think everyone benefits from this situation. I benefit because I am doing what I love and not forgetting what it is that makes me happy and kids/spouses benefit because you are a happier person. It is a little easier for me to do now that Madison is older, but I wish that I had taken more time for myself when she was younger. When Rick and I first started to see each other, he often pointed out that I didn’t take enough time to just be me. If there is one thing that I have learned from him, it is that it is important to find time to be me rather then just being a mom.

Sunday I had a 3 hour bike ride on my schedule. Rick and I packed up the bikes and headed out towards a trail by the mountains to get in our endurance miles. It was a great day and I wore a sleeveless jersey and I was thrilled to be on a road bike. My legs weren’t too happy though. They were fine on the flat portions of the trail, but screamed at me on the climbs (and this is Colorado, so there were lots of climbs). My training schedule has been steadily increasing week after week and my legs weren’t quite sure what to think about all of this abuse. I think they were ready to file a restraining order and harassment charges against me. I finally calmed them down and they seemed to cooperate for the rest of the ride. It was a great ride and it was great to get out and spend time with Rick. I love to ride with him. We don't usually run together since I usually go farther then he does. We are getting ready to take our annual mountain bike ride vacation next week! I can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I was finally able to leave a comment! How did you fix it?

ShutUpandRun said...

Yay, nice that you guys have some time to yourselves. No need to feel guilty about that. You are a great mom, I'm sure. Madison is in good hands and you get to chill and do the things you love; it's all good!!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

Feel not guilt for taking time for yourself. One day our children will have their own life and we will be better ourself for knowing our own passion and enjoying them. I am thankful I know this!!

Trails have my heart and I miss them these days. I am loving every minute on the bike and one day I will kick up the dirt again on the trails. It is all good!!!