Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Recovery Week

I took a look at my training schedule yesterday and noticed that it said RECOVERY WEEK. Damn. I know what that means…the run test. I’m not a huge fan of the run test. Ok, I’ll admit, I’m not a big fan of working really hard (yes, I do realize that this is a problem) and the run test makes you run really hard. It is geared to test where you are at in your fitness and reset your heart rate zones if needed, so you must go all out fast. I’m not a fan of running really fast for a short amount of time, which is one of the main reasons why I don’t do those 5K’s. Yes, I’m aware that I am a wuss, but whatever, give me a ten mile run any day. I’m sure that I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Even though it’s recovery week, I’m still not sitting around on my butt eating cheetos every night (well…maybe the cheetos part), I’ve got workouts scheduled each day. This morning, I got up to do an hour bike ride. Rick rode his bike to work this week, so I rode part of the way with him. Wednesday I will do an easy paced 45 minute run, Thursday is weight training day, Friday is another easy run, Saturday is the damn test, and Sunday is a recovery bike ride. So basically, I’m only working out in half the amount of time that I normally do. I’ll take it, my legs are tired and they need to regroup.

On a different note; I hopped on the ole scale the other day to check out my weight. I don’t normally worry about checking my weight and quite honestly, I don’t want to know....as long as my pants fit, I'm good. I was shocked to see that I had put on about 5 pounds and had broke the 120 lb mark. It’s been a couple of months since I had last checked, but good lord, 5 pounds in a couple of months? This didn’t really sit that well with me, I’m training for a marathon, shouldn’t I be losing a few pounds, not gaining??? Yes, I know that I’m gaining muscle and losing fat…yada…yada…yada, but FIVE POUNDS OF MUSCLE? I guess it’s time to cut out those cheetos……

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I know. What's with training and gaining weight. Doesn't make sense to me. I hate running short and fast too. Stresses me out and makes me feel like I might die.

Chris said...

It's not uncommon for me to put on 3-5 pounds when I'm training harder. Has something to with muscles requiring more glycogen, which requires more water [don't quote me, look it up]... there's a scientific explanation. It's not really fat, or muscle, and it always goes away when I cut back on training. Weird.