Friday, June 12, 2009

My Running Feet

I've been so busy at work this week that I am so totally ready for this weekend. I have gotten in a few workouts this week. A 5 mile run on Tuesday, a 45 minute indoor trainer ride on Wednesday (due to thunderstorms), and a 5.50 mile run last night. Last night's run just felt awkward straight from the beginning. I'm not sure what the problem was, but it just didn't feel right. I'm sure we've all had those kinds of runs. It wasn't the weather; it was a near perfect 70 degrees, it may have been my form, sometimes when I try too hard to be efficient in my running, I totally throw my run off. I'm still not sure, but by the end of the run, I had finally found a nice groove. I started the run out with a nice easy warm up by running 10-11 minute mile pace and then worked on bringing my heart rate up into zones two and three. I was pleasantly surprised that I was averaging a 7 some minute mile in my zone three and it felt fairly comfortable. That's a step in the right direction.
I ended my run with an easy cooldown and then 15 mintues of yoga and a recovery drink.
Lately, I have noticed a problem with my feet that I have never experienced before. Now, before you switch to a blog that isn't about feet, let me just say...please hang in there, you may be able to help me figure out the problem. Let me begin by saying that I have had all kinds of issues with my feet. You name it; I've got it. Calluses, black toenails, corns, bunions, I've seen it all. The bunions so far have been my biggest pain. My bunions are apparently caused from a combination of genetics and from the 13 years of ballet that I took while growing up. Toe shoes rock. Whatever has caused them, they have been a major pain in the butt. One of these days, I will have surgery to correct them, but the 6-8 months worth of recovery just doesn't seem to fit into my training schedule. Anyway, over the last few weeks I have noticed a new problem. There is a painful knot in between the third and fourth toe on the ball of my right foot. What the heck is this? I already have bunions, couldn't we leave well enough alone? It doesn't really bother me too much when I run, but I can't go barefoot anymore, it's too painful. I hope it goes away naturally and I also hope that it doesn't affect my running. I know that you are all just hanging by a thread of suspense over my feet issues, so I will make sure to keep you posted.
Tomorrow is my long run day and then Sunday is a very long bike ride. I am also taking Madison to the airport tomorrow, she will be starting her annual "Tour de Family". She is very excited and mom needs the break from being "senior taxi driver" and slave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One word...podiatrist! Get em taken care of while you can.