Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Happy National Running Day!

National Running Day June 3rd. Get out and move!!

"Everyone can run. That's the message of this day," said New York Road Runners president and CEO Mary Wittenberg. "As an industry, we know first-hand how great running is. Millions of Americans have discovered that running is an easy way to feel better, look better and live better."

Madison has a choir concert tonight, so I got up early to get my workout in. I had a bike ride on my schedule today, so I will not actually be running on National Running Day. I might go run around the block just to say that I did. I'm not sure of any local events that are being held in Denver; although I'm sure there are somewhere. I did an hour on the indoor bike trainer at low effort and high cadence. Feels good and I'm going to go to work feeling nice and refreshed.

I got a 50 minute run in last night on the treadmill. I have been doing all of my workouts inside this week to try and help my allergies and I could tell a tremendous difference in my energy level last night. Last night's run was mostly in zone 1 or my easy pace, but I was supposed to do 10 x 30 seconds of speedwork and work on turning my feet over faster. So, for most of my run, I had the treadmill set somewhere between 5.8 and 6.2 for my easy pace. During the speework, I increased the speed to 8.5 and did gradual increases from there over my 10 x 30 seconds of speedwork. It is so much easier to do speedwork on the treadmill then it is on a track. I feel like I'm cheating.

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Cheating at 8.5 mph?? I don't think so. That's FASSSSTTT.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

The treadmill is not cheating. I do most of my speedwork on a treadmill for two reasons. One, I don't have an accessable track near my home. Two, it is much easier to control the workout than to rely on judging the pace and not knowing if you are on or off until you hit 400m. Great job with the speedwork!