Friday, May 8, 2009

What's Next?

Finally Finished


Notice the crappy form. Lost all form at about mile 11 or 12.

I downloaded some of my pictures from the race today; thought you might like to see one. Pretty huh? I look pale, tired, and ready to drop. All I wanted to do once I crossed the finish line was to find Rick and get some water. Some kid came up and started messing with my shoe and I couldn’t figure out what he was doing down there, so I kicked my foot a little bit to try and shake him off. I thought he was trying to take my shoes off; I didn’t know that he was just after my timing chip, oops, sorry for kicking you. He probably thought I was crazy.
And yes that is an Ipod attached to my pants. I know….I know….most people try not to run with an Ipod in these types of events. I use mine more or less to deaden the sound of my train like breathing (exercise induced asthma). If I don’t, I just tend to focus on my breathing and then I start thinking that if I’m breathing that hard then it must be hard and I think that I need to slow down (not that I run super fast anyway).
After I found Rick and got my water and a snack, we went over and watched more people coming up (yes, the finish was uphill) the finish chute. I immediately got involved in a conversation with another runner about how great the course was and how well supported and beautiful it was. She had ran the half marathon this year, but said that she ran the marathon last year and that the marathon course was even better then the half course. I told her that I had not yet ran a marathon, but my next goal was to do one in the fall. As soon as the words came out, I was shocked, not more then fifteen minutes earlier, I was vowing that I would never run another race again and here I was talking about running a marathon. I’m stupid. I guess it’s like childbirth, you forget the pain.
So, now I need to find a marathon. I’ve looked into San Antonio, Chicago, Tuscon, and the Denver marathon. I would prefer to sign up for one at sea level since I’ve been doing all of this training at altitude. Any suggestions? I will most definitely sign up for the Ft Collins marathon next May.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no

ShutUpandRun said...

Congrats on your finish! I am trying to pick a marathon too. So if you figure it out, let me know. I'm thinking of the Santa Barbara marathon in Dec. Might was well put this altitude training to good use.

Anonymous said...

How about Vegas???

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Thanks for stopping by my humble little blog.

You asked about the Tucson Marathon. It was the first marathon I ever ran. It's well organized and the weather is usually good. It is not an 'easy' marathon because of the continuous downhill of the course really pounds on the quads.

Check out www.marathonguide.com. They list just about every marathon held in the country including links to the race and comments from people who have run the race before.

Cheetah Girl said...

Hey! Great time on your 1st half, especially if you stopped to potty! I finished my first one in February and really want to run a full one this year as well.. people tell me I'm crazy, haha. I'm hooked too! :)

Anonymous said...

You are a little crazy sis--but honestly I'm just jealous because I don't have the time or the willpower to work out as much as you do right now!

Ulyana said...

Congrats on doing the race!!!!

You actually look great! And it looks like the race scenery was nice. I wish I was there :)

Laura Payette said...

I saw your comment on Beth's blog (Shut Up and Run) and I think you should run the San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon! I ran the half last November and have friends who ran, too (the half and full). Almost everyone in my group PR'd. You can read about my experience (but only if you want!) at http://longdistancelaura.blogspot.com). Cheers and congrats on your recent race! -Laura

Maggie B said...

Wow - congrats!! I just started running (more like jogging) about 5 months ago. You are such an inspiration. Your blog is really nice too!