Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Official.....I'm walking?

I received an e-mail containing my receipt yesterday from Elite racing as an official confirmation for the San Antonio marathon. I quickly scanned through the information so that I could make sure that everything was correct and a couple of lines caught my eye. 1.) Is this your first marathon? My answer: Yes. My heart started to beat faster and I experienced a brief feeling of excitement, quickly followed by fear. Calm down, I quickly instructed myself, the race is well over 5 months away, no sense in getting worried now. I will be ready and well trained, I will be able to reach my time goal, and yes I will finish (power of positive thinking…fool your brain).
And then I saw 2.) Are you walking the event? My answer: Yes. Hmmm. I don’t remember marking yes to that question. I don’t plan on walking the marathon. Was it a mistake on their part? Did they accidentally make that typo? Maybe someone over at elite racing knows who I am and just made that decision for me. “Yep, she’s walking it, no doubt about that; hell I’m not even sure why she signed up.” Or maybe I came to that question and my brain answered no, but my subconscious mind answered yes and that’s what I wrote. Hmmm. I couldn’t imagine walking 26.2 miles. How long would that take anyway? Actually, one of my goals is to NOT take any walking breaks (my other goal is to not stop and cry in the porta potties). I’m not sure why they need that information (is it important to know?), should I e-mail them and let them know I don’t plan on walking the event?
The rest of the form looked fine and I noticed that I even used my new married name. I’m still in the process of changing all of my forms and information over to my new name and I’ve been going crazy trying to remember which bank account has my old name, which one has my new name. My driver’s license is my new name, but I still have to change my social security. My work e-mail is my new name, but my personal e-mail is my old name. I fell like Sybil trying to remember which name to sign.
BTW…I get to run tonight! I love running nights! Last night was an easy bike ride and some core exercises.

6 comments:

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

You are going to want to contact them and let them know that you are running. They will use that information to assign you to a coral for the start. If you leave it as walker, you are going to spend the first 5 miles zigzagging around a ton of walkers.

* Tyly * said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog as I was searching through Google. I am running in the San Antonio Rock N Roll marathon too, but I'm doing the half. It will be my first long distance run ever, so I am nervous!!!!

Good luck with everything!!!! :-)

ShutUpandRun said...

Hey, thanks for your comment. I will try Runner's Roost for running group possibilities. I'm in Longmont, so too far north for your group. I still haven't decided on my fall marathon - looking at Tucson, California, Richmond, San Antonio, the list goes on. I'm quite indecisive - can you tell?

Anonymous said...

I like to stop and cry in potta potties whether I am running or not.

Anonymous said...

me 2, Mark.

Loves Life in Colorado said...

Hi Tyly. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Good luck with your race too! See you in San Antonio!