Monday, May 11, 2009

First Run after the Race and a Slumber Party (not mine)

Beautiful Ride


Madison and her friends at the slumber party.


This weekend I ran for the first time since my half on May 3rd. I was ready for it, I had been jumpy and nervous all week due to lack of activity. Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed just hanging out, getting to cook dinner every night, and enjoying a glass of wine or beer, but I missed moving! It felt great to get out and I was supposed to only run in zone 1 or my “easy pace”. One of the first things that I noticed was how responsive my heart rate was. I have been training with heart rate zones for the past couple of months and I’ve never quite seen them respond like they did on Saturday. When I would start up a hill, my HR would shoot up to high zone 1 or low zone 2, when I backed the pace down, my HR responded immediately. When I started downhill, my HR instantly shot back down. Normally, my heart putters around and takes forever to catch up with what I’m actually doing, if it catches up at all, sometimes it just does what it wants to and ignores me (kind of like my 14 year old daughter). I also noticed that on the flat parts of my run, I was able to run at a faster pace in my zone 1 or “easy” pace then I have been able to do. Hmmmm…maybe there is something to this zone training after all. Maybe someday I’ll be able to run a 6 minute mile pace in my zone 1! Ok, I’ll come back down to reality; I’m well aware that it will never happen, but I can dream.

My next adventure(s) will be the Copper Triangle bike ride this summer and then the full marathon in the fall. I still haven’t decided which marathon to run, but someone suggested that I take a look at the www.marathonguide.com link; it has descriptions on all types of marathons and lots of feedback and comments from runners. VERY helpful website; check it out. Thanks Chad!

In preparation for the Copper ride, Rick and I also got to get out for a mountain bike ride to take advantage of the hills and some riding at altitude. It was an absolutely beautiful Colorado day with blue skies and big fluffy white clouds and the trail itself has amazing views. My legs felt super strong and I was able to keep up with Rick on the hills; normally he drops me like a bad habit. I think that he should just stay out of shape this year; we would make a better match on our mountain bike rides. He of course still dropped me on the downhill, due to the fact that I chicken shit my way down the hills; no sense in falling and breaking something so that I can’t run anymore. That would be dumb.

On a side note: Madison had a slumber party this weekend for her birthday. We had pizza, cake, and a "fun-genda". Yes, Madison and her friend came up with an activity list for the party and called it their "fun-genda". The party went ok, as far as I know there was no major drama or fighting as sometimes can happen with a bunch of teenage girls. Rick and I just keep our distance and only had to get on to them two times during the night.

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Let me know what you decide about your marathon. I keep changing my mind, but am now looking at the Rock n Roll in San Antonio (mid Nov) b/c it is flat, a short plane trip, low elevation. Plus I like the rock n rolls.

I love what you said about Rick staying out of shape so you could work out together. Ken and I are always trying to find that balance...

ShutUpandRun said...

Yeah I ran the RnR in Phoenix in January. It was my first marathon. It was great although I have to say I was so focussed on the race and not dying that I didn't pay much mind to the music. But it was well organized and upbeat. See you in San Antonio maybe??