Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just some thoughts...

"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed." Jacqueline Gareau

How true this quote is. I don’t know how many times that I have been out and have wanted to quit a run because it was not going well or I was tired and I just kept pushing through until my mind finally overpowered my body. One of the biggest challenges of long distance running is too prepare the mind to not let your body give up because your body can usually sustain much more then it thinks it is capable of. They say that the last six miles of a marathon are ran with your head not your body. I don’t know, I’ve never done one, but when I do, I want to be mentally prepared.

Less then three weeks to go until the race. I am relaxed and feeling confident so far. I am trying not to put to much pressure on myself with this one. This is just my “testing the waters” race to see how my mind, body, and spirit hold up during the run. I’m sure that the pressure will come with subsequent races since there’s always that need to reach a different goal and do better then the last race. I’m sure the pressure will come and when it does, I will have to squash the ugly headed monster and remember that I run because I love to run (see blog URL :)).

I’ve gotten in a couple of runs this week already. Monday night I did an easy paced 4.5 jog and last night I did a 7.72 mile run, working on holding my goal pace. Last night was hard, not because of the pace, but mainly due to the raging 35 mph wind that I was running into. This was a prime example of my body wanting to give up and slow down, but my will forced it to keep going, I need to be prepared for any type of weather condition on race day. The wind may be raging at 45 mph, you never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep looking for you to update to see your pics of all that snow! :)

Laura