Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Commitment



I left work early yesterday to take Madison to the doctor. We ran some tests on her; the doc thinks she may have mono. Eeek! If that is not what is wrong with her, they have one more test they want to run, but she does seem to be feeling better.

When we got back to the house, it was totally gorgeous out and I was actually home before five! Our friends Tim and Jeff were in town and were planning on meeting Rick, Madison, and me at the Wynkoop that evening after work, school, and doctor’s appointments. The Wynkoop is a cool little brewery located downtown and has some most tasty beer and appetizers. However, I had a run and some weight training on my workout schedule for that day. I had planned on getting up that morning to do the workout, but had overslept. Ooops; now came my dilemma. Do I do my run before or after I go to the brewery? Now….this shouldn’t be a hard question, it shouldn’t even be a question all. I knew that if I went downtown, I would not get my run and weight lifting in. There was no way in hell that would happen. I would come up with every excuse in the book to get out of the run, due to having had a beer or being tired or just being too LAZY. Why didn’t I get up that morning like I had planned??? I thought about the commitment that I had made to run the half marathon and the fact that it was less then two weeks away. I thought about my goals for that run, I thought about my goals for running a marathon. Not only that, but I have recently made the commitment to work with a coach in order to prepare myself to run a marathon in the near future. What would I tell her? “Can you please change my schedule around? I missed my workout last night because I went out drinking instead.” Yep, that’s not going to happen.

Ok, I made a commitment to something; I am going to keep my commitment. I realize that missing one run is not THAT big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but if I miss one, how many more will I allow myself to miss every time something trivial comes up? And the weather is getting warmer; I’m sure that there will be a lot of trivial opportunities in my near future.

One of these days I am going to make a commitment to working on a better nutrition plan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww my poor little Maddie :( Tell her to feel better & that I love her!

Laura

ShutUpandRun said...

You are my kind of woman. I love Wynkoop. I also just love beer. I also love CO. See? We have a lot in common. Thanks for stopping by my blog.