Monday, February 2, 2009


Vail 2009


Being a smart ass when I asked him to smile.


Tara Vail 2009

Saturday Rick and I got up at 5:15 to go skiing at Vail. Madison had a sleepover the night before, so she elected to sleep in instead of going with us. We were out the door by 6:15 and stuck in traffic by 6:45. We usually go on Sunday to avoid the Saturday traffic, but the weather was going to be better on Saturday, so we decided to take our chances. We got off on the first exit possible and cruised down the side roads for quite a ways. We could see I-70 and it was backed up for miles. We couldn’t tell if there was an accident or if it was just normal traffic backup from where the three lanes merge to two. Rick suggested that we turn around and start for home, but I convinced him to press on for a little while. I’m glad we did, once we got back onto I-70, the traffic somehow seemed to die down and completely thin out. Not sure where all of those cars went, but it wasn’t our way! We finally made it to Vail around 8:00. Last year was the first year that we had skied at Vail. The locals kept telling us that the back bowls at Vail were amazing and that we needed to get out there. They weren’t lying; the back bowls and blue sky basin are the best skiing around here in my opinion. It takes a while to make your way back there, but it is totally worth it. It was a little on the cold side when we started our journey, but the sun was shining and we knew that the weather was supposed to be a high of 38 degrees. Suntan weather! We made our way through a couple of fun, yet easy, black runs and then came upon one with gnarly moguls and deep, fluffy snow. I do NOT do moguls, so I was sweating and cursing after a few minutes of making my way down the slope. The snow was super deep in some places and my ski poles sunk deep each time I tried to use them. Rick made his way over to a place where there weren’t too many moguls and the run seemed to flatten out a little, so I followed. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, we ended up on a blue run. By this time, my legs were shaking and I was exhausted, so I welcomed the chance for a break. We got in the lift line and were dropped off in the wide open, fluffy snow of the blue sky basin. We had a blast! What a perfect day for skiing.

Saturday night Rick, Madison, and I went out to dinner to try out a new restaurant that supposedly had great burgers. They were pretty good and Rick said that he thought they rivaled Jacks in Columbia. Now, Jacks is one of his all time favorite places to grab a burger, so you know that was a good burger!

Sunday, I woke up to a ton of chores that I ignored on Saturday. After checking those off of my list, I decided it was time to get out for a run. My goal for my Sunday run was 10 and a half to 11 miles, but I only ended up doing around 9 miles. I started out just fine, but the wind was blowing pretty heavily and my asthma was causing my chest to ache. Plus I could tell that my legs were tired from the long day of skiing (and those damn moguls!), so I cut the run short. I had to get cleaned up and get Madison to a Super bowl party anyway. Before I dropped her off at her friend’s house, her and I went by and got the dog some French fries for the dog’s 6th birthday. Madison and I have been doing this since we first got Champ, so it is one of our crazy little traditions and of course, the dog loves it too! Rick and I just hung out at home to watch the game. We grabbed a pizza and just relaxed. What a game! That was the most exciting super bowl that I have ever seen. I even won $250 from an office pool.

I also decided which half marathon that I wanted to do over the weekend. I had heard some great things about the Fort Collins marathon/half marathon, so I got online to sign up. It had already capped! Bummer…now I’m back to square one.

No comments: