Monday, November 24, 2008

Ready for a long weekend

I am ready for the four day holiday weekend. I could care less about turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, pumpkin pie, etc; I am just ready for a LONG break from work, deadlines, stupid people asking me stupid questions (external auditors), and the constant chatter from idle people who obviously don’t have enough to do (do I sound bitter?). I need a break to clear my mind and exercise my body. I can’t wait. Last weekend was nice, but it definitely wasn’t enough.

We didn’t do too much last weekend; it was nice and relaxing. Friday night we just hung around the house; even Madison stayed home. She complained about it, but she stayed home. Saturday, Rick and I went on our usual coffee run and then headed out to do a trail run. It was 55 degrees out, so it was perfect for trail running. I was planning on doing an 8 mile trail run. Rick decided that he was going to run most of the way with me. I think that he ended up doing 7 miles! I think the most he has ever ran on the road is 4 miles, so the fact that he went out there and put in a 7 mile trail run is great! Like I said, he’s going to be a hell of a trail runner one day. I think it helped that the last 3.5 were all downhill, but he did really good on the 3.5 uphill. That’s not an easy run! He only walked a few of the steep sections and just took it nice and slow. My asthma was acting up, so I would stop to catch my breath and give him a chance to catch up (on the steep sections), so it worked out perfectly. Saturday night, Rick, Madison, and I went to REI to check out their big sale. I got a new pair of white ski pants and some new smartwool socks. Then we went home to lounge, watch football, and bottle the beer that we brewed a few weeks back.

Sunday, we got up and took a drive through the mountains. We were originally going to do a mountain bike ride, but Rick’s foot was bothering him and I could feel the start of a cold, so we decided to take it easy. It was a beautiful drive and I couldn’t believe that it was the end of November and there was still no snow in the high country! This will definitely make the winter seem shorter! We stopped at the Hard Rock for lunch and then did a little shopping at various shops in the small towns along I70. We got back home around 2:00 and I took the dog out for a walk to enjoy the remaining sunshine and then came home and took a nap. I never take naps, so it felt WONDERFUL.

No comments: