Monday, September 15, 2008

Summer Update-the brief story



In June, Rick and I went out to Moab in search of great mountain bike rides. We found them. Our first stop was actually in Fruita, Colorado. We had heard the the Zippity Do Da was the trail to ride. They were right. It was like a giant roller coaster. There were times when you were cresting the hill and you couldn't even see what what ahead of you. There were a couple of "Oh shit" moments on my part. I am deathly afraid of heights, so I ended up walking a lot of the trail. If you aren't scared of heights, this is one hell of a trail to try!

In Moab, we spent several days just exploring various trails and hanging out at the crappy hotel. We rode the Sovereign Singletrack (my personal favorite), Klondike Bluffs (a giggle), and one that was up in the La Sal mountains (can't remember the name) that our book labeled as a "giggle" trail and I thought was pretty tough. Oh and how can I forget....we also attempted the infamous Slickrock Trail. That tore me apart. Once we finally got past the psyche factor of going up and down rocks at that angle, it was time to leave, so we didn't get to finish the trail. Next time....BEWARE...we're doing the whole thing. We also went hiking at Arches and Canyonlands. Very pretty.

Let's see, what else? I went back to see my family over 4th of July, hung out with my friends in Columbia, MO (drank lots of beer), and did a trail run at Rockbridge. Let me tell you, after running up and down the trails out here, Rockbridge was a piece of cake. I kept waiting for the trail to get harder...nope, didn't happen. I'm anxious to get back out there with my mountain bike and see how much easier that is. I love Colorado!

Rick and I also rode in the Copper Triangle this summer (on my new full carbon Trek!). That was a blast! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't make it up the three mountain passes, but after training on Squaw pass, they really weren't that bad. The one that did kill me was Vail pass. After riding 65 miles, I wasn't ready for another 15 mile climb, but we made it. It was a great ride (very well supported) and I'm anxious to do it again next year.

Let's see, oh yeah, Rick and I are finally planning our wedding. We haven't figured out yet if we are eloping to Hawaii or having a small wedding out here for family and friends in the mountains. If we have it out here, it will most likely by in March (spring break) or June.

No comments: